When God gives us something, there is always enough to share.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thrifty Thursdays @ Totally Temberton--Homemade Cream Soup

Totally Temberton is hosting a Thrifty Thursday Blog Hop! This is a new meme, and I'm excited to take part.

My Thrifty Hint -- Homemade Cream Soup

Recently, I was making my favorite Chicken Pot Pie, when half-way through I discovered that I was out of cream of chicken soup. OH NO! Supper was scheduled in less than an hour...just enough time to finish the potpie and bake it. Certainly not enough time to run to the store!

So...what to do? I pulled out one of my favorite books:


My mother gave this book to me many years ago, and it has saved my hide many times since, lol!

Back to the cream of chicken soup...or lack thereof!

I opened up to cream soup, and guess what?? Instead of "replace with sour cream" or something of that nature, I found a recipe for cream soup. YAY!

GWEN'S CREAM SOUP MIX

2 cups instant non-fat dry milk
3/4 cups cornstarch
1/4 cups instant chicken bouillon
2 T dried onion flakes
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp basil, optional
1 tsp thyme, optional

Combine all ingredients (I mixed mine in a gallon size zipper-type bag). Mix well. This mix makes three cups--equal to 9 cans (10-1/2 oz) cream soup. 

To make the equivalent of one can of soup, combine 1/3 cup of mix with 1-1/4 cups boiling water in a pan and stir over low heat until thick. (My method: Whisk 1/3 cup mix and 1/4 cup COLD water. Set aside. In saucepan, bring remaining 1 cup of water to a boil. Whisk in cold water mixture. Stir until smooth and thick.)

Now, I am not a fan of dry milk powder in anything, so I was skeptical at first. But, since I was in a pinch, I tried it! And, honestly, I could not tell the difference in my pot pie.

Considering that I bought my dry milk at a discount store and my chicken bouillon powder for less than 50 cents, this was very economical! 

Needless to say, when I shopped for groceries this past week, I rolled right past the cream of soup.

I hope you will head over to Totally Temberton and join in her Thrifty Thursday meme. Maybe you will learn a few hints that will save your favorite dinner, lol!

*smiles*
debbi

2 comments:

Whimcees said...

Hello!

This is a great recipe for me! I have spru - gluten allergy - and cannot use the canned creamed soup because it contains wheat flour. This recipe I can use!

Thank you for sharing and thanks to mom for giving you this great book! :<)

Wishing you a great weekend!

Hugs,

Barbara Diane

Cara (aka Temberton) said...

Thank you *so* much for linking in my new hop. It got off to a S-L-O-W start, but that's OK. I know it will grow over time. I really appreciate the support...and the post! You entered my Handmade with Love giveaway, right? Posting about my hop earned you extra entries - 3 bonus entries, plus the mandatory (follow me with GFC) would earn you 4 entries right off the bat! :)

If you already entered, just never mind me. It's hard to keep track!

My Cards

Earn Free Prizes Just By Surfing the Web!

Search & Win