When God gives us something, there is always enough to share.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

A "Stressed-Out" Heart?....or a Quiet One?



If I could describe what my heart has looked like over the past few weeks, I would have to say "stressed-out" rather than "quiet"!


The busyness of daily life had taken over my thoughts, and I have been going from one thing to the next thing to the next thing (you get the idea!).

I have been convicted, I have prayed many times, I have even tried several ways to quiet my heart...all to no avail.

This morning, I was so blessed by a podcast that I listened to, and I finally realized the why of my stressed-out heart!!


Each morning over the past several days, I have been listening to some podcasts by Nancy Leigh DeMoss about the Proverbs 31 woman. This morning (by God's grace, I'm sure!), I "somehow" ended up listening to the "wrong" podcast...not the next one in the series on Proverbs 31, but one from 2006! Can you guess what it was about??? (Isn't God SO good to me!!??)

This podcast is entitled "The Right Focus". In it, Nancy talks about the reasons we worry or get stressed out. She taught from Psalm 131. And then she said this:

          "Charles Spurgeon said about this passage, 'Remember that where your treasure is your heart will go--and if that treasure is taken away, your heart must ache,' if you're leaning on or depending on things other than the Lord.


         He said, 'The man who depends alone upon his God and whose expectation is from Him, has not half the occasions for trouble than he has who is leaning here and leaning there, and leaning in 50 places! For each earthly prop will be the cause or occasion of distress at some time or other.'


         "You say, 'What are earthly props?' It may be your husband you're looking to to satisfy your needs. It may be your child. It may be your job. It may be shopping. It may be food. It may be friends.




         Whatever you're leaning on, whatever you're looking to to meet the deepest needs of your heart, will be the cause or the occasion of distress at some time or other--unless you're leaning on the Lord. He will never fail you. He will never distress you. He will never let you down."

 While I was running around caring for all of my "earthly props", I had neglected to do it with my whole focus on the Lord. I cannot "do it all" in my own strength (duh!), but I sure was trying to (hence, the stress!).  What a blessing today's reminder was to me!!

I encourage you to listen to or read this lesson here. It really blessed my heart!

I pray your heart is quiet and your focus is heavenly! :-)

*smiles*
debbi

No comments:

My Cards

Earn Free Prizes Just By Surfing the Web!

Search & Win